Monday, October 27, 2008

Keep your cool and don't blame your customers

When you are facing hard times, it is easy to project that onto your customers. When you are getting hit with higher expenses, do you start looking at your customers as liabilities? If you do then, you will feel the need to punish the customers so that they feel your pain too. You may find yourself thinking that it isn't worth it to keep offering the same level of service when you are getting a diminishing return.

Let me encourage you to keep your cool at this point. If your business is taking a downturn and you have fewer customers, then you have more time to serve the customers that you have retained. Massage your clients - don't punch them in the gut.

I was hit hard by Delta airlines a couple of weeks ago. They let me know loud and clear that they are hurting and that I should hurt too. I got a double punch to the gut in the form of extra fees totaling $175 (one way) when I had to check three bags instead of one. They clearly let me know that I was the cause of their high fuel costs and I was going to pay and pay big. Boy, I learned my lesson - Don't fly Delta when the chips are down - they take their frustration out on their customers. I tried explaining this to a customer service supervisor and he tried to win me over by arguing with me. I lost the argument and Delta lost a customer.

I'm flying Southwest from now on.

No comments: